Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Restoran Yik Kee @ Karak

While most people find themselves visiting Yik Kee, en route to Genting Highlands, I found myself in Karak one afternoon, while on my way home from Kuantan. It is probably the same Restoran Yik Kee which is famous for their durian bombs and such.

I'd planned immaculately the timing, how much time I should spend with the client, who to see, what to say, how fast to drive, so on and so forth, that I'd be in Karak in time for lunch. Hahaha...

But when I reached Yik Kee, I didn't know what to eat, because I was alone. In the end I ordered myself a plate of Roast Duck Rice, which tastes very different from the usual roast ducks we get from KL. The meat is tender, and is served with a layer of dark, sweetish soya sauce, and sprinkled with spring onions. I thought the rice could be better, but its really not bad.



Yik Kee is actually famous for their pastries. They are probably the pioneers in making durian tarts, but I don't really understand why their tarts are so over rated. Below is a picture of one Durian Tart ( something like an egg tart, except that it is filled with durian paste and not egg paste), and the right hand side, its a durian bomb ( lau lin KOK).
The durian tart's pastry was sticky and had not much texture to it. Although I didn't mind the taste of the tart, I was rather reluctant to finish up the rest of the crust. The durian bomb was nothing to shout about either. Nothing explosive came out of it, maybe just a sore throat after you eat these pastries.

I like the taste, as in the filling only. I wish they could improve on the quality of their pastries, ie, make them more crispy, and also less sticky to the teeth. It will help a lot too, if their durian tarts weren't falling apart when I tried to pick it up from the plate.

For comparison's sake, try A1 Crispy Puffs (better stuff there). But so far, I still have not found anyone else who makes those Durian Pies and Durian Cakes that Yik Kee makes.

Also read

BabeKL
Everything Asian
CatsnDogs
Small Kuching

note: took this from Babe's Post...
Yik Kee Restaurant
HQ:
29 Jalan Besar
28600 Karak
Pahang
Tel: 609-231 1240

Gohtong Jaya Branch:
22 & 23 Jalan Jati 1
Gohtong Jaya
69000 Genting Highlands
Pahang
Tel: 603-6100 3240

Restaurant Sri Karak, Petaling Jaya Branch
17 Jalan 52/8
Section 52
46200 Petaling Jaya
Selangor
Tel: 603-7958 3240

7 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I find the pastries here just average, but there's a certain nostalgia about this place that makes me wanna go there again.

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

so far away..so far away..normall en-route genting..we go goh tong jaya keke..but nvr tried this shop..looks like can avoid if i dont want a sore throat..

Babe_KL said...

i agreed wid you la, the tart pastry is lousy and its getting lousier by the years.

eh john king has durian tarts too but i dun find them fantastic hehehe maybe i crusted the tart in my bag before i ate it :p next time gotta try again

Bernsy said...

i actually wanted to try their river fish, but one fler eat like that abit expensive la....

Next time go one big group can try their wild river fish.. baru syiok

古墓街第7号當鋪 said...

Omgz..The first is awesome!
Like food menu pic.
The Roast Duck Rice is like inside my mouth already =)

Bernsy said...

Jerome - heh, thanks... will be upgrading soon......

ScrumptiousFood said...

Despite the many bad reviews about its crust, i really wanna try this durian tart... lol