Saturday, January 06, 2007

Tau Sar Pneah

Tau Sar Pneah - Penang Wan

Pic from Doctor Chan's Flickr Chest

Other than memories of our trip to Penang, we brought home some authentic traditional Tambun Biscuits. What gifts do you get your family when you go to Penang ? Tambun Biscuits and Nutmeg. Not only did we get these stuff for friends, we also got one box for our own consumption.

Coincidentally, my brother has also recently went up to Penang for a short holiday and brought home some Ghee Heangs. As for me, I followed Scully's advice and brought home a box of Him Heangs. GH's packaging is somehow more thoughtful as compared to HH's. GH packs them in fours and sealed so that we can store them longer. HH gives them all to you in one box.

Taste wise, I really can't tell the difference. Personally I am not a Tambun Biscuit Fan, as such, has not much experience as to which one is better or how Tambun Biscuits should taste like. When it comes to the question of who makes better Tambun Biscuits, GH or HH ? You will divide the Penang people into half.

The box of HH's we bought, although was not warm, but it was crispy when we opened it, almost immediately after we purchased it. That was just how fresh it was. Then another thing struck me as I finished the last piece of HH. Something is written inside the HH box. It says, that HH does not appoint any agents to bake or sell their biscuits. These biscuits can only be purchased at their HH shop in Jalan Burmah in Penang (I was dumbfounded). No wonder GH more popular then HH la.

However so, I believe these two GH and HH are the most popular Tambun Biscuit sellers in Penang. Of course they are other players too, for example, Halal biscuits are now available in the market for the consumption of our muslim friends. Which to me, tastes a lot sweeter and instead of putting lard, it is substituted with Onion Oil. Still very tasty, but I bet not many people tried it, because it is not as famous.

0 Comments: