Sunday, April 22, 2007 Part 2

So my first fever came about on Saturday night 14th April 2007, although I remembered only vaguely, I think it was the same night Sayang's mom got discharged from UH. I was at her place when I began to feel aches all over, a niggling migraine and of course that mild fever. Just normal flu symptoms, nothing I couldn't handle. So I drove home that night , and tried to sleep off the fever. I remembered Sayang telling me months ago when I was doing an installation at a
construction site, any fever go get your blood tested for dengue ( in my mind, a ya rite was playing around)....... this can't be the dengue la, if I kena means , I would have gotten it when I was working at the construction site. my boss and the appointment.

Sunday 15th April 2007.

The fever did not subside. Since I had been spending most of my time in and out of of Pahang, and when I rushed back I was at the hospital, my parents were getting used to not having me around. I zombied around in my feverish state ( nobody noticed anything). OK, so I drove myself down to a nearby clinic to get some meds. Doc, I got fever, no sore throat, a bit of phelgm. He stuck his stethoscope into my chest, then my back. Took my bp, then asked me, are you working tomorrow ?

" Doc, I need to work tomorrow (in fact I needed to be in Pahang tomorrow) so you better give me meds that can cure me fast !!"

He wrote something in his notes and said, ok that will be it.

Minutes later, the same doctor came to the dispensary window and started packing my meds. This one panadol, 2 tablets 4 times a day. For your pain, 1 tablet 3 times a day, and this one...for Phlegm ( scibbled something on the packet) 1 tablet 3 times a day.

So I religiously went home, ate my bread, drank loads of water. Tried to sleep, did not go to gym. Sayang spent time at home too with her mom, since she just got discharged. It was a miserable fever, one that had to befall on me on a Sunday. Just my luck !!!!

That evening I began to loose my appetite, the fever just wouldn't go away, it was mildly nagging you, telling you its there. The weather was rather humid, it drizzled abit and I began to sweat. Ahh !! Fever's gone.......

I went to bed early that night. Trying to get ready for a long drive to Pahang the next day. The fever came back at night and it got stronger. It felt like it was in its 39-40C range. Whatever it was, the migraine, and the joint aches did not help me sleep a single bit. I took my meds, the pain killers, everything just as the doc told me to... I couldn't sleep.

I was counting cows, sheeps, clocks, but the pain was just unbearable. I drank so much water, I kept waking up every 1 hour to pee.

By 4am, I was so fucking tired, I think I passed out. Woke up at 6am and the cycle of pain ( head, knees, ankles, thighs, neck, elbows, shoulders) continued where I last passed out.

Monday 915am , 16th April 2007.

My phone woke me up. I must have passed out sometime during the 6-7am period. Some work acquaintance called up to make an appointment with me. So I said, ok I will be in the office. By that time my body was already soaked with sweat. I had used 4 T shirts , all soaked as my sweat towel throughout the night. No wonder I managed to sleep.

Drove down to the office like a zombie, and told my guys I am not going down to Pahang with them, instead just passed all the instructions as to who to meet, what to do, and the expectations of the installation and such. I laboured on in office, with much luck, during the day I sweat easilly. So the fever if it existed was only mild at the most. I did not have much to sleep, my joints were aching, still thinking this was just a normal FEVER, I rushed back as soon as I saw

First stop on the way home, Clinic. Oi Doc, your meds are not effective at all man !!!! I couldn't sleep last night and the fever did not go down. I was feeling headaches and joint aches all over man. He looked at me for awhile.

Took my temperature, and said, there you got no fever what.

Of coursela doc, can't you see I am sweating. I am suppose to be in a tender meeting tomorrow la, so how .. you giving me better meds ?

Ok I give you something better.
Dynamol Prescription ( this one looks just like Panadaol, not yellow color wan) for two days.
Generic Ponstan
and Fenadium 25.

The fucker gave me 3 pain killers.... :D smart sonofabitch, and he gave me two days MC.
If you still got fever after 2 days, comeback, I will take your blood for dengue testing.

That night I still couldn't sleep. But my headaches were gone .

Still I fell asleep much earlier, I thought by about 1030pm, after trying for 2 hours I think. Two days later my condition grew worst, by that time everyone was worried. By night when the fever came back to haunt, I was feverish and shiverring. Everyone, was worried, and it worries me that everyone is worrying.

I haven't been eating well,the past 2 days. drinking mostly fluids, like milo and water. If I wasn't trying to sleep upstairs I was trying to do it downstairs. Because the nights were just terrible. Everytime I closed my eyes, the fucking migraine come pound me at the back of my head. Imagine someone smacking you with a rifle butt from inside your head. It goes left... 10 seconds later right...... and it continues on until I faint or something like that.

Wednesday 18th April 2007.

The only smart decision was to go find another doctor to attend to. He took my blood, but found the Dengue antibody's to be negative, Typhoid also negative. Everyone was thinking this has got to be typhoid fever, Sayang told me the story of Typhoid Mary. So I imagined myself spitting at everyone's face infecting them with typhoid, thus calling myself Typhoid Berns... wakakakakaa... but negative la, so that fantasy won't happen. I went back to him Thursday morning to do another blood test. My platelet count was dropping rapidly, Wednesday it was 107, by Thursday it dropped to 67. He advised my parents to admit me to a nearby hospital.

Pantai Cheras lo wa kena. ---- to be continued....