Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Banana Leaf Meal @ Restoran Raju, PJ


Raju's Curry House, that Indian Restaurant just off of Jalan Gasing, is indeed an icon for me. Because for me, they are one of the first banana leaf meals that was introduced to me, that I truly. As I recalled, my first time ever eating a banana leaf meal was at New Lay Sin restaurant @ Brickfields, when our school magazine outings during highschool brought us to Brickfields, thus New Lay Sin. Fast forward a few years later, we were introduced to Raju.

We arrived in the afternoon at about 1.30pm and found the lunch crowd still around. Although a lot of them has already gone back, the crowd was still quite substantial.

One of the things why I like to eat here is because, they offer a pick and choose station of your favorite meats and fish. All pre marinated and placed in a tray as shown in the picture above. What came as a surprise to me is, that they now post one fler to pick the stuff up for you, just in case you don't want your hands to smell like fish. hehehe. I guess he stands there to swap flies too.

After you pick em, just pass it to the fler here, and he will deep fry them for you. Your stuff will then come steaming hot with vapour flying out of your fish or meat. My plus point about this is that, at least they cook it fresh for you, I "think" its cleaner.

Many reasons why I like to come here. The restaurant is situated under a huge asam tree. Its cooling and it adds leaves to your meal (as you eat, gerenti you, sure one small leaf will drop onto your banana leaf). Secondly all their staff are neatly dressed, and ever ready to pose for your camera. Can you see the uniform they are wearing ? Neat isn't it ? Even their moustache is the same....wakakakaka....

That day I had a general vegetarian set with two pieces of Deep Fried Ikan Balos. My favorite fish, because its so deeply fried, you can even eat their bones. Again, my rice has to be drenched with a mix of sambar, chicken and fish curry.


Not sure who started this dim sum style of carrying extra dishes to the customer's table. This to me is new, although I heard that Kanna Curry House also practice the same thing. In the picture above, they were trying to sell those big prawns to us. As usual, I'd decline, must be very expensive wan. Last time, they'd just leave them in a stall and if you wanted them you take a saucer and pick up the extra dishes you want.


Rasam in most restaurants are given free compliments from the eatery, but at Raju's they have begun the practice of charging you 50sen for a small glass of rasam. I was surprised, but nevertheless had to pay for them.
This is the first time in my life, I see this being sold. Non Alcoholic Beer. WTF ? I think those drinks must be a can of training beer to make it easier for young kids to later graduate into real beer(like training bras). Wakakakaka..... Anyone tried those before, meant those beers?

To summise, they do serve really nice authentic indian food. Although they have increased their pricing recently, their food is still quite good. No complains on the food, but why charge for rasam , why sell non alcoholic beer (jees, that freaking lame man), and the dim sum style serving really just don't make sense.

Raju Restaurant
Jalan Chantek 5/13 (off Jalan Gasing),
Petaling Jaya


Also read:

Eating Asia
BSG
Simple Life
Masak-mAsak

8 Comments:

yammylicious said...

*sob* CRAVING banana leaf.. i'm real in love wif banana leaf d.. saw quite amout of flogger blog about banana leaf.. sobbbb

Anonymous said...

I agree with u dude. Charging for rasam is unheard of here. Normally rasam, thairu, fried chillies are all complimentary. And I totally agree with you about those guys posing for the camera. Can't blame them though. Everytime I bring tourist friends there, these guys are ready to pose for pics. They're extremely experienced in this area, I believe! Having said all of the above, the food's good, and I'll keep going back there despite the high prices.

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

i know new lay sin..i think they serve darn good side vege dishes..

but apparently they have moved bcoz the shoplot got bought over by some1 else..sigh

HairyBerry said...

the word "sambar" got me weak on my knees...haha! i love that stuff! yeah, i think that dim sum thingy is everywhere lar...

raju's signboard looks like a cigarette butt, right? haha!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.

Anonymous said...

OhmyGawd!!! I so miss this one guilty pleasure.. Can find it here in Melbs but it just isnt the same...

sob..

I do try to make my own BENana Leaf rice...

Go try the one at Nirvana Maju in Bangsar, down the road from Madam Kwans.. ( tho recent standards sudah jatuh a bit )

the deep fried bittergourd in batter...

bitter in batter is better!! yum!!

Bernsy said...

yammy - don't crave la, just go makan onli.. wakakaka..

joe - I drove by last month, and I thought I saw New Lay Sin still there . Moving already ? alamak, must rush down there soon

nic - i thought it looked more like mr pringles...hahaha...

cresenet - I am honoured and will do likewise, and put ur blog on my blogroll, although I hardly understand the words but will try using "bable" and have a good laugh with it...

Anon - Nirwana Maju I know which one. Agree with you standard sudah jatuh, maybe lan C already becuz they got famous in a short time.. You can also try Anjappar which is next to Saravana, or Madras Woodlands (vegetarian) same row as McDs.

Anonymous said...

Interesting story as for me. I'd like to read something more concerning this topic. Thank you for sharing that information.